April 28, 2009

How-Tuesday: Brew Beer!


I like to brew my own mead, since it's so simple and yummy. Sean prefers to brew beer, which is also yummy! He finally got around to crafting up his first batch since we moved to Portland a year ago, and he decided to document the process! We put all the photos up on Flickr to create a little "How-to" series. Hopefully, this will make homebrewing a little less intimidating to those of you who've been wanting to make your own, or who just wondered how it's done.

You really don't need very much in the way of special equipment to make your first batch of beer, and the best part is that most recipes are ready to drink in 2 weeks! That's 5 whole gallons (or, about 54 standard 12oz bottles) of fresh, alcoholic goodness that you can make just how you like it.

[http://www.flickr.com/photos/breadnbadger/sets/72157617443894760/]

8 comments:

Twisted April 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM  

Thanks for sharing! I always wanted to do that. There are some really cool homebrewing stores here too.

Missy April 28, 2009 at 9:24 PM  

Oooh. It's nice to see these pics. We've been wanting to do this for quite a while. Someday we'll actually do it!

Amanda April 28, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

Yeah, Portland has quite a few good homebrew supply shops! I can't believe it took us this long to make the first batch.

You should totally give it a try, Cloth Paper Stitches! It's easier than you'd think. :)

Missy April 28, 2009 at 9:36 PM  

Is there a supply shop you recommend?

Amanda April 28, 2009 at 9:51 PM  

I'll let Sean answer this one, because I don't know where he got his supplies. Are you in Portland?

If you're not, you can look up homebrewing supply shops in your phone book or online. Most cities have them, and some of us are blessed with really good ones!

There's a great one in Somerville for all you Massholes. I think the one Sean went to here is on SE Stark... I think?

Missy April 28, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

Thanks for the info. I am FAR from Portland. I'm in NH...neighboring the massholes.

Missy April 29, 2009 at 12:53 PM  

Hello, again!
Wanted to let you know...
I have a Kreativ Blog Award waiting for you on my blog!
I was awarded one today myself and now have the privilege of awarding other fabulous blogs. I really enjoy your blog and your work. So congrats.

Stephanie Kim April 30, 2009 at 10:33 PM  

this is so intense! great pictures!

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP