March 26, 2009

Astronaut Love


I made this jar for a customer as a custom request. The retro-style rocket ship was an image I already had, but I drew the astronauts specially for her. I wanted them to be androgynous, and kinda cute-but-not-cutesy. It was tougher than I thought it would be, but I really love the way they came out.

The rocket and astronauts were sandblasted, along with the heart-shaped hose connecting the astronauts, and most of the stars and moon. I hand-engraved the hose connecting the people to the ship, and added a few extra stars.

This was a lot of work! It was super fun though, and now I've got some fantastic astronaut stencils that I'd like to put on other stuff. I might make a small batch of limited-edition pint glasses with a smaller version of this design wrapping around them. They'd be kinda pricey, so I'm thinking of offering some with just the astronauts. I already have some with just the rocket (with flames!).

You can see a few more photos of the jar on Flickr. I'd love to hear what you think!

2 comments:

autumn March 26, 2009 at 1:17 PM  

This is awesome Amanda! What a cool custom order!

LeaKarts March 27, 2009 at 11:46 AM  

So awesome! I love the challenge of a custom order :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP