December 3, 2008

Roadkill Badger Sandwiches


I got an amusing Google alert this morning (on the topic of "Badger Sandwich", which apparently is a real foodstuffs) for this blog post about folks who eat roadkill. No photos, unfortunately (is it really?), except for some excellent quotes:

Fergus is supposedly known as the Roadkill Chef in Europe. He is a self proclaimed vegetarian that only eats meat if it has been killed on the road by someone else.
Back when I first became a vegetarian (when I was 11), I thought this would be a noble way to go. I didn't want to be the person responsible for ending the life of another being. But roadkill and life-or-death situations were totally up for grabs. Luckily, I never had to survive by killing and eating something myself, or scraping something off the road.

If I ever run into a squooshed hedgehog though, I'll keep this recipe in mind:
Hedgehog spaghetti carbonara (serves four)

500g spaghetti, 30ml olive oil, 250g lean hedgehog, 1 medium onion (chopped), 125ml water, 60ml dry white wine, 4 eggs, 60ml double cream, 100g grated parmesan cheese · chop hedgehog into small chunks

beat eggs and cream together in a bowl. Add half the Parmesan cheese

put pasta in boiling water

put onions and hedgehog chunks in pan with olive oil on medium heat until onions are almost clear

add wine and reduce heat

drain pasta when cooked, combine it with egg, cream and cheese mix

add meat, onions and wine without draining fat and mix thoroughly

garnish with remaining Parmesan. Serve immediately
[quotes from http://mrbaggins1.livejournal.com/7474.html, Badger Pastel Painting by http://JeaneNevarez.etsy.com]

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP