November 24, 2008

Brining is the new Frying


I've recently started eating meat again, after 15 years of strict vegetarianism. This is going to be my first Thanksgiving as an adult where I'll be eating the turkey! Sean and I are celebrating the holiday with another couple who lives in our apartment complex, since none of us have relatives close by. There will be so much food, since we all love to cook, and I have the honor of cooking the turkey.

The New Best Recipe cookbook has a great section on roasting turkeys, and I plan on following their advice to the letter. The first step is to brine the turkey, which sounds daunting, but is apparently essential. We've brined almost all the meat we've been cooking, and I gotta say, it's totally worth the salt and the planning ahead.

[This sexy turkey hat and tea cozy are available as a knitting pattern from angelacatirina.etsy.com. Check out the legs that double as a chin-strap! There's also a crochet version.]

2 comments:

Leah November 24, 2008 at 9:22 AM  

I just got a turkey from Trader Joes that is organic and pre-brined. I like the brining, but I am lazy and the birds are big! So when I saw these puppies, I jumped at the chance.

Mary Kelly November 25, 2008 at 10:49 AM  

Oh man you are going all out. Obviously still loving the meat. Do you think you'd ever go back?

yes brining is the key.. A friend of mine uses Champagne to brine and cooks the turkey in a pan with champagne at the bottom.. oh it was so moist!

It's a daunting task. Good luck to you. :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP