November 26, 2008

Bottling Mead


You may recall that I started brewing a batch of mead way back at the beginning of August, using local honey from one of the organic farms on Sauvie Island. I finally had time to bottle it this weekend, even though it's been done fermenting for about a month.

Bottling is even easier than brewing the mead. You just gather up 10 or so large liquor bottles (I like handles of Seagrams, so that's mostly what I used) or 9 2-liter soda bottles. Sanitize all the bottles and caps with bleach, plus a plastic hose and racking cane. Our hose has a fancy shut-off valve that only opens when it's depressed on the bottom of a bottle, so the flow stops whenever you need to switch bottles.

It was a super-fast process, and now we have 10 big bottles of mead! It needs to age for about a year, but a couple always get consumed before then. ;)

I can't wait to share this at Thanksgiving, and to trade Leah for a bottle of her hard cider!

2 comments:

Leah November 26, 2008 at 10:06 AM  

looks great! I am looking forward to the trade!

Pauleridoo November 26, 2008 at 4:16 PM  

I know, I know. This may sound a bit ridiculous, but do I hear X-mass bells chiming? I mean, What could represent the true meading of xMass?
Ah, nevermind. Have a great whiff of the sweet stuff for me. Daderidu

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP