June 30, 2008

Septopus


I made this little amigurumi softy as a gift for a friend's new baby. I'm really a knitter and not a crocheter, but I thought I'd share this project because it proved just how creative and simple crochet is. With just a little bit of practice, you could be creating sculptural stuffed toys for your cat, baby or roommate in just a single afternoon!

I found the pattern for free through Ravelry, but you can see it here (sorry, I don't know the designer's name, beyond "Katherine"). The silly thing is that I'm terrible at counting crochet stitches, so I just kind of winged it and somehow only ended up with seven legs! So, he's actually a "septopus" instead of an octopus.

If you'd like to learn how to crochet, there are some fantastic online resources. I learned from Debbie Stoller's book, The Happy Hooker, which I highly recommend!

2 comments:

Unknown July 1, 2008 at 3:45 PM  

well...i don't have a cat or a baby, but i could make septopus for my roomie... he would totally love it.

ps. i'm into those FOTC vases too!
pps. happy belated anniversary!

Amanda July 1, 2008 at 3:57 PM  

Thanks!! Check out tomorrow's post.. :)

(There's only one vase, actually, but there may be more portrait items soon!)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP