July 15, 2009

Recycled Cardboard Cat Scratcher


Design*Sponge has a great tutorial on creating a cute round scratching pad for you cat out of recycled cardboard. I saw this when it was first published, and I immediately made one out of all the cardboard boxes I had laying around from the glassware we purchase.

Rupert loved it right away, but it was a lot of work to cut down some of the box parts to all be the same height. Also, I used duct tape, which just didn't stick to the cardboard very well.

Pint glasses come in a case of 24, and have these great dividers between them inside the box. After the first scratching pad project, I decided to save all the dividers to make a new one, which wouldn't require any cutting since all the pieces would start out the same height. I also used wide masking tape this time, which worked perfectly!

The d*s tutorial tells you to wrap the finished scratcher with decorative paper, but I'm just not fancy enough to have decorative paper laying around my house. I suppose I might have some holiday wrapping paper in a closet somewhere, but that just isn't my thing. Rupert gets the rustic look, and he seems to like it just fine.

This is a great afternoon project, and an inventive way to recycle some cardboard. Try it yourself!

2 comments:

balanced. July 15, 2009 at 7:35 AM  

Ooo! I made one of those too when D*s originally posted about it.
I swear it's the only thing my kitty will scratch on now.

Wish I had known about it before purchasing cat scratchers.

Emery Cat August 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM  

I think you're right about the different ways to build this type of cat scratcher, but in the end it all depends on how much catnip will be infused in the design vs. how fun it is for a cat to scratch on. Good post.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP