July 7, 2008

H.R. Giger Bar


Sometimes, the modern art and design scenes are a little discouraging to me. I don't always understand the meanings behind large-scale installations or performance pieces that are supposed to be profound. "Low-brow equals high-brow" is sometimes completely over my head. What's with people collecting antique milk bottles that have numbers stenciled onto them?

When I hear about something like the H.R. Giger Museum Bar, then all my faith in the design world is restored. Chairs that look like monstrous jawbones, and ceiling arches that look like vertebrae I get. The wall of contorted baby faces speaks to my soul, saying, "This is imagination. This is emotion."

As a bonus, the bar opens at 10am every day of the summer, so I could stop right in during my next trip to Switzerland, without having to adjust to the local time.

http://www.hrgiger.com/barmuseum.htm

1 comments:

LeaKarts July 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM  

I am so with you--let's head off to Switzerland, shall we?

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP