May 11, 2010

Scottish Bagpiper Glasses

I've been working hard to get the new dinosaur designs into production (in case you missed the poll, we're going to be making T-Rex and Brontosaurus glasses very soon!), but there are a lot of custom projects that have been keeping me busy as well.

A lot of personalized wedding glasses have just been mailed out, and I just finished a Father's Day request for a set of Scottish bagpiper pint glasses. This isn't a design I would have come up with on my own, but it was really fun to turn this concept into my own creation. I also had the pleasure to work with a fabulous customer who really gave me the freedom to work in my own style. It's one of those things that make this the best job ever!

I also got to use my new Wacom drawing tablet (another early birthday present from my dad--thanks, Dad!!). I don't know how I ever worked without it. I used to sketch on paper, using tracing paper, filling things in with markers or calligraphy pens, and then scanning it into Photoshop to spend hours "fixing" and smoothing all the lines. Now, I can create my artwork directly in Illustrator, with my left hand, no less! Excellent.

We charge custom design orders by the hour now, and this has significantly sped up the process for me, which makes everyone happy. I still went over the initial estimate I gave the customer (by about half), but I didn't charge her for it, and I feel really good about the results.

Custom orders are the soul of our business, and this new tablet just makes it so much more enjoyable for me. I still like drawing with "real" tools, but I'm all about embracing technology like this. If you're an artist who works digitally a lot, you should consider getting a drawing tablet. They take a little getting used to, but it's so much faster!

3 comments:

Burnt Mill Candles and Soap May 12, 2010 at 12:33 AM  

is that the tablet they use on project runway when they do their sketches? the ones they used always looked really cool and I can see how it would help.

Amanda May 12, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

Huh. I should find out! I don't have cable, and I've only seen a few snippets of P.R.

This isn't the latest/highest tech tablet, but it's a big step up from using a mouse with my opposite drawing hand. ;)

Shaheen May 15, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

These would be so popular in Scotland.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP