March 5, 2010

Drinking Vinegars

I first discovered the exciting beverage world of drinking vinegars when some friends took me to Pok Pok, a Thai restaurant in Portland which immediately became my favorite. If I remember correctly, drinking vinegars are actually a Japanese thing, but the adventurous owners of Pok Pok just had to share them, because no other restaurant was.

I think the flavor I tried that first day was boysenberry, but plum is now my new favorite. Every trip to the Asian supermarket (Fubonn, here in Portland) has me searching for the best brands. They tend to be popular, and sell our very quickly.

Just mix 1-2 oz. with some club soda, and you've got a fabulous non-alcoholic cocktail that doesn't taste like it'll rot your teeth or make you crave the hard stuff.

After photographing these bottles, I noticed the little slogans for each flavor:

"Plum aroma, sweet and sour taste that moisture your throat and quench your thirst."
"Lemon keep youth, beauty and maintain healthy."
"Scent of strawberry is just like the scent of happiness and sweet love."

Each label ends with:
"Sweet and sour, refreshing taste, it gives you a new experience in love."

Tastefully put.

[The cup, by the way, is one of the silk-screened hi-ball glasses that Urban Outfitters made with my artwork on them.]

2 comments:

Shotz March 6, 2010 at 9:00 PM  

Brandon and I have been to Uwajimaya in Beaverton in search of these too- the selection is not great there either but that was about a year ago. If you ever find the boysenberry get us one!!! They also serve them at Ping in Old Town (opened by the same guy as Pok Pok).

Amanda March 7, 2010 at 10:30 AM  

I totally will! :) We'll have to check out Ping, too. There's an unending supply of great food here, and I'm happy that I always have places to add to my list.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP