February 1, 2010

Micachu & the Shapes



A friend of mine recently sent me a mix CD of a whole bunch of bands she thought I might like. I do have pretty wide musical tastes, but I've been in an "experimental" phase for a while now. I like music that pushes boundaries with the instruments they use (bonus points for homemade instruments, especially of the electronic variety), the chaotic noises they make, and the sometimes loose definition of singing that they employ. But it's still gotta be pop music.

While listening to this mix CD, I was nodding my head as each band played, weighing their merits in my head. When I got to Micachu and the Shapes, I immediately had to listen to it again. And again. And again. I stuck all their songs on repeat and called it a day.




[Here's a live version of my favorite Micachu song, "Curly Teeth"]

Sure, I like moody, angry, bob-your-head introspective stuff. But there's nothing like a song that actually makes me want to get out of my seat, jump around, and then look up the band online to find out how they made that noise.

I don't know a lot about 22 yr. old front-woman, Mica Levi, except that she's a classically trained musician from the U.K., and I want to listen to everything she's ever created. She made a bowed instrument out of a CD rack, fer chrissake!

[Check out more from Micachu and the Shapes on Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/micayomusic
I strongly encourage you to search for more songs and videos around the web. There seem to be quite a few.]

1 comments:

Anonymous,  February 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

Yay for Micachu! Try Neon Indian, Black Moth Super Rainbow and Animal Collective as well :)

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP