June 13, 2008

Girl Talk: Night Ripper

About a year ago, I was visiting friends in Berkeley, when Girl Talk (aka Gregg Gillis) came on the ipod. At first I didn't think much of the catchy pop song playing out of the stereo, until I realized that I was listening to Biggie rapping over Tiny Dancer. Let me just let that sink in for you. The Notorious B.I.G. rapping. over. Tiny. Dancer.

With samples coming from classic to current hip-hop, rock, punk and pop favorites, it's hard not to love every song, no matter how strange the mash-ups. I know I'm not the only person who secretly switches the radio over to the hip-hop station when no one's around, so don't be afraid to admit that you recognize more than a couple of the hooks.

This video shows a bit of Gregg's process when creating a new remix:


If you wanna rock out or shake yer laffy taffy to Girl Talk's tunes, Night Ripper is a great album to start with since it's a bit more pop-y and danceable than some of his more frenetic albums. This wikipedia page even has a track list for all the samples (don't peak if you want the fun of figuring them out to yourself!).

Just be prepared to have multiple songs stuck in your head at once. For days at a time.

(mp3 clips courtesy of the Illegal Art website.)

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP